Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day Two

Sunday, September 30, 2012



What an amazing day. It started with a hike that pushed my physical boundaries pretty far.  Nothing makes you feel out of shape like hiking for 90 minutes down and then back up a steep mountain at 6,500 feet above sea level.




We hiked down to the river as a group around 6 a.m., and it kicked my butt. The mountain was very steep. It was a long way down and (seemingly) an even longer trek back up. I was towards the middle-to-end of the pack of ten.  Dustin struggled too, but I'm so proud of him because he kept going. The views were amazing, and it was a cool experience to have with the group.  We saw more than one local making the same hike, but for necessity, not pleasure. One little woman did the uphill climb with a huge sack on her back, in a dress and ballet flats, essentially.  She beat us to the top.  That was pretty humbling.



After the hike, we ate breakfast. The meals here are fantastic and no one inside the house goes hungry. After breakfast we exchanged our money. Dustin and I exchanged $220, which amounts to thousands of quezales. We couldn't believe how far our money stretched in the market, which is supposedly the largest of its kind in Central America.



I bought a beautiful scarf for Mom for Q230 - about $25. I got a beer mug for Dad and some postcards, and together Dustin and I bought a huge, red, handmade blanket for our home.  Dustin loved haggling, and I got the hang of it eventually but really was not a fan at first.



I was actually uncomfortable and overwhelmed when we first started shopping. First of all, personal space doesn't really exist in Chichi's market (which is set up and broken down twice a week - Sundays and Thursdays - throughout the streets of town). The streets are narrow to begin with, and then people set up booths on both sides.  Entire families are manning each booth, from moms and grandmothers to infants sleeping on the ground or on their mothers' backs.  And then groups of women and children start following you like you're the Pied Piper.



We stand out like a sore thumb, being white, dressed in American clothes, and at least a foot taller than most of the people there.  I'm ashamed to say I was really bothered by the relentless pursuit of our money. The little girls were cute but could be obnoxious, and they just Would. Not. Quit.

"Hey lady, buy something!"
"No, gracias."
"Yes!"
No, gracias."
"Yes."
"No..."

You get the idea. This went on almost the entire time we were there, so about an hour and a half.  I really had to face some feelings I wasn't proud of. Instead of compassion, I felt annoyance.



One of the guys in the group--I think either Johnnie or Mark--asked me a great question later that night after I told everyone, sheephishly, that my market experience had been frustrating and anxiety-ridden instead of fun.

"Why? Why did the people get under your skin so much?"

He suggested that it bothered me because it interrupted my agenda, and it certainly did.  I'm used to shopping by myself at a mall or a big box store and not saying a word to anyone until I hit the register. Here, to be hounded for 90 minutes really bothered me.  I didn't want most of the trinkets being shoved in my face (and in some cases placed into my hands).  But I knew the faces looking up at me needed the money.  I wanted to help, but I couldn't help everyone.  I wanted to enjoy a new and unique experience, but the whole thing got on my nerves.

Instead of embracing something new and living in the moment, I let anxiety and aggravation take over. And I certainly didn't look at those girls like they were God's children.

If we get the chance to visit the market again Thursday, I want to try again with a different perspective.

I will say that something really good happened between the awkward market experience and the end of the day.

We took a hair-raising tuk-tuk ride to Monte Flor, where many of the Pray America/Manos de Jesus staff live.  (A tuk-tuk is basically a glorified tricycle with a roof and a motor. The drivers, like most drivers in Chichi, are fearless.  I was crammed into the back between 6-foot-something Rob and Dustin. What a ride.)


Monte Flor is a gorgeous, 60-acre piece of mountainside land with beautiful, brightly colored adobe houses scattered all over the property. We visited the shoe factory, where Pray America employs locals to create handmade leather shoes to sell and to give away to children who need them for school. Dustin and I each bought a pair of shoes (they also make flip-flops and really cool looking men's loafers). We also bought some Guatemalan coffee and a bracelet for Greg (a very manly looking bracelet).

[Click here to shop for your own handmade shoes from the Pray America spinoff, Market 127. You'll find some really unique Christmas gifts and help an amazing ministry at the same time.]

The best parts of our trip to Monte Flor were spending time together at the chapel high up on the hill, and then sitting by the fireplace at the main house hearing the testimony of the founder of Pray America, Ron.


At the chapel, Don (our team leader) just put on some great music and gave us time to be with God. Dustin and I sat together and talked about our expectations for the trip. I told him I was worried about expecting too much. I want so badly to hear God and see God, and I worry I'm basing my hopes off of other peoples' experiences here. Dustin gave some great advice: stop.

Stop trying to force it. Stop trying to create the perfect experience. Live in the moment. So, that's the plan. I made a decision right then to live in the moment. After that, I enjoyed and savored everything we did the rest of the day.

*****

(continued Monday morning)

I want to read and pray this morning, so I'm going to have to save some more of Sunday's details for later, including Ron's story. Lesley told us her story yesterday too. For now, suffice it to say that both were absolutely inspiring and increased my faith.

What stuck with me most during our time at Monte Flor with Ron was when he said God can use us all, and not to discount ourselves.  He called himself "basically talentless" but said that just made it easier for God to use him. He told us we just have to step out in faith, because we cannot please God without faith.

So, my prayer for today is for God to use me. I just want to be part of what He's doing. And my question for Him is, "Lord, how can I serve you best?"

Oh, I'm dedicating a widow's house today. I'm nervous and excited and honored. Please, Jesus, give me the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment